Wednesday, February 16, 2011

A Messed Up System

I met a girl this semester.  We are in three of the same classes.  We've become fast friends.  We were meeting for our group project yesterday morning and I wanted to tell her about my minimal frustrations that happened earlier that morning: slipping on the ice and falling , and my tooth pain that I woke up to.  After I was done it was her turn.  She slapped a piece of printed paper in front of me.  It was a subpoena.  I asked her what had happened to where she would have to testify in court.  This is her story:

There is a website that lists the wanted criminals in the area.  She had looked at it a few months ago and, when she was out and about, noticed one of the criminals that was on the website.  She called the person in and they were arrested.  The criminal was found with a pellet gun on them.  She is being forced to testify in front of this scary, dangerous criminal.  The police department already released her information to the criminal on the police report!  She is scared for her life.  This person is part of a gang.  She feels like she needs to move to be safe.  I thought that it was always supposed to be anonymous!  Her and her mom have called everybody possible involved in the case hoping to get her out of testifying.

This makes me SO mad!  All she did was notice the person there and called them in!  She was being a concerned citizen!  They should have NEVER given out her information and should DEFINITELY not be forcing her to testify!  She never saw the crime being committed!  What do they need her for?!?!  This is proof that our judicial system is messed up!  This is all I know about this situation right now.  I'll keep you all posted!       

2 comments:

  1. That is so messed up! I really hope she gets out of it! yes please keep us posted.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much for the comment Elsa! Keep visiting and tell other people about my blog! Have a great day! -KC

    ReplyDelete

Any opinions?